October 26, 1961: Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta is born. He is named Uhuru, in anticipation for Kenya’s upcoming independence
Uhuru Kenyatta attended St Mary’s School in Nairobi. He played as a Winger for St. Mary’s Nairobi Rugby Team
1978: Uhuru loses his father, and Kenya’s firrst president ; Mzee Jomo Kenyatta, who died aged 89.
1979 – 1980Uhuru Kenyatta worked as a teller at the Kenya Commercial Bank, Kipande House Branch.
Uhuru Kenyatta joined Amherst College USA. to study Political Science and Economics.
1989: Uhuru Kenyatta starts his first company, Wiham Kenya Limited, where he used to personally pick up and transport horticulture for export on his pick up truck.
1991: Uhuru Kenyatta marries his sweetheart and best friend Margaret.
1992: Uhuru Kenyatta campaigns for Kenneth Matiba
1994: Uhuru Kenyatta sold Wiham Kenya Limited.
1997: Uhuru Kenyatta runs for the Parliamentary seat for Gatundu South, But looses to Moses Muhia.
1999: Uhuru Kenyatta was appointed the new chairman of the Kenya Tourism Board by President Moi
2001: Uhuru Kenyatta is Nominated to Parliament by President Moi
2001 Uhuru Kenyatta is appointed minister for Local Government under President Daniel arap Moi
2002: Uhuru Kenyatta contested for the presidency on a KANU ticket, but lost to NARC’s Mwai Kibaki and opted to take his seat as official Opposition Leader.
January 2005: Uhuru Kenyatta defeated Nicholas Biwott for chairmanship of KANU, taking 2,980 votes among party delegates against Biwott’s 622.
2005: Uhuru Kenyatta led his party KANU in campaigns against the draft constitution in the 2005 constitutional referendum.
September 13, 2007: Uhuru Kenyatta withdrew from the December 2007 presidential election and said that he would back Kibaki for re-election. He said that he did not want to run unless he could be sure of winning.
December 2007: Uhuru Kenyatta backed Kibaki for re-election in the presidential election.
January 2008: Uhuru Kenyatta was named Minister of Local Government by president Mwai Kibaki.
13 April 2008: Uhuru Kenyatta was named Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Trade as part of the Grand Coalition Cabinet.
December 15, 2010: Uhuru Kenyatta was named as a suspect of crimes against humanity by the International Criminal Court prosecutor Moreno Ocampo, for planning and funding violence in Naivasha and Nakuru
“Growing up in the Kenyatta household taught us many things. My father taught us to treat everyone fairly. He taught us the essence of justice and fairness, he told us to learn from history but not to live in history.”
Uhuru Kenyatta Wealth
According to Forbes magazine Uhuru Kenyatta is the 23 richest person in Africa and has a net worth of $500 Million.
Source of wealth:
Uhuru Kenyatta is the son of Kenya’s first president, Jomo Kenyatta, and a joint heir to some of the largest land holdings in Kenya. The Kenyatta family owns at least 500,000 acres of prime land spread across the country. The land was acquired by his father in the 1960s and 1970s when the British colonial government and the World Bank funded a settlement transfer fund scheme that enabled government officials and wealthy Kenyans to acquire land from the British at very low prices. Uhuru and his family also own Brookside Dairies, Kenya’s largest dairy company, as well as stakes in popular television station K24 and a commercial bank in Nairobi, among other interests.
Uhuru Kenyatta Wife, Children and Family
Uhuru Kenyatta is married to Margaret Wanjiruand has three children, Jomo, Ngina and Jaba. Uhuru’s wife Margaret is not very well known because she prefers to keep a low profile.
50 little known facts about Uhuru Kenyatta
- He was conceived in Samburu
- He was born in Nairobi
- He is left handed
- He worked for KCB at Kipande House
- He earned 600/- while working for KCB
- History was his favorite subject in High School
- Played on the wing for St Mary’s School rugby team
- He was the First Politician to concede defeat at the Presidential Level
- His favorite film is Shaka Zulu
- His favorite musicians are Bob Marley, Tracy Chapman and UB40
- He has 3 kids
- He is a practicing Catholic
- He wears specs while reading
- His favorite food is Nyama Choma
- His favorite authors are Tom Clancy and Vince Flynn
- His favorite TV SHOW’s are 24 and Spooks
- The first car he owned was an Alfa Romeo
- He used to personally collect horticulture for export in his pick-up
- He joined politics in 1989
- He campaigned for Matiba in 1992
- He first met his wife in 1978 in Mombasa
- His father passed away while he was in form four
- He has slept in St House, but it was never his home
- His father had 4 boys and 4 girls
- He worked at Burger King while in the US
- He fronted an Afro while in Uni
- His favorite beer is Tusker
- His favorite gadget is an Iphone
- If he could hang out with a band it would be UB40
- He favorite computer game is Tiger Woods Golf PGA Tour
- His favorite cartoon is The Flintstones
- His favorite comic is Archie
- His favorite color is Blue
- His favorite board game is backgammon
- The Kenya Economic Stimulus program was first launched under his leadership at the Treasury.
- The project that he has initiated that he would most like to see succeed is IFMIS
- He is the first finance Minister to create a loan facility for the JuaKali sector.
- If he could be any animal he would be a cheetah
- His pets are both a Great Dane and Chihuahau
- He has retained his first driver and secretary to date
- His favorite Ministry that he has worked in is Trade
- He lost the first parliamentary election.
- He intends to retire at 60.
- He proposed to his wife in Karen, Nairobi
- He was suspended from school?
- His best friend is his wife Margaret
- Favourite bible verses are Psalms 23, and 137
- The world leader he would most like to meet is Fidel Castro
- The most influential person he has met to date is Nelson Mandela
- His greatest wish is to serve the people of Kenya - courtesy: softkenya